Play Audio

Visuals, audio, animation. Blended, not stirred. If LiveCode is part of your rich media production toolbox, this is the forum for you.

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

UKenGB

Play Audio

Post by UKenGB » Thu Dec 10, 2015 9:17 pm

I want to be able to play MP3/AAC audio files on iOS, Android (and possibly OS X). I would have the path to the file and want to be able to play, pause, fast forward and rewind, i.e. just like a normal music player. What I have read indicates this might be a problem for LiveCode. Could someone enlighten me, is it possible to do this or do I need to throw LiveCode in the bin and look elsewhere?

Thanks.

Dixie
Livecode Opensource Backer
Livecode Opensource Backer

Re: Play Audio

Post by Dixie » Thu Dec 10, 2015 9:41 pm

You can do what you want to do...:-)
I have built an app that does just what you wish...:-) Under iOS I used the MPMoviePlayerControl.... You can 'play','Pause','Stop'... 'Seek Forward', 'Seek Backward'...

I didn't use the 'seeking' actions, but I can tell you they do work...:-) All the tracks are called and played from a server, no need to keep the tracks on the mobile device...
Attachments
iOS Simulator Screen Shot 10 Dec 2015, 20.36.27.png

Klaus

Post by Klaus » Thu Dec 10, 2015 11:26 pm

Hi UKenGB,

1. welcome to the forum! :D
UKenGB wrote:What I have read indicates this might be a problem for LiveCode.
2. Where and what did you read?

Best

Klaus

UKenGB

Post by UKenGB » Fri Dec 11, 2015 10:04 am

Klaus wrote:Hi UKenGB,

1. welcome to the forum! :D
UKenGB wrote:What I have read indicates this might be a problem for LiveCode.
2. Where and what did you read?
Klaus
I was searching the forums for '"audio" I think and saw several posts that indicated a problem. One I think said 'controls' were not available for mobile. I'm afraid I don't know now specifically which posts they were. Hard enough trying to find what I do want, let alone backtracking to find what mislead me.

I am very new to LiveCode, but want to construct an audio player for Android and iOS using music stored on an external USB HDD and internally, respectively. I have previously done a lot of 4G database development work with various front ends, but very little C or similar. I hoped LiveCode would be a good choice, but I'm sure it won't be easy and I'll have a lot of questions and so hope no one will mind my asking and will be prepared to help. Might as well start:-

Dixie uses the 'MPMoviePlayerControl'. What is a 'control'? Sorry if that sounds basic, but what does that signify in LiveCode speak. Working through the tutorials I've not come across this term, only when I started looking through the forums. Is this external code that you incorporate into the project somehow? Is there an equivalent music player control for Android?

To create an app for both, but with different 'controls' for each, would I therefore need my own code to select the appropriate control at run time, depending on which OS under which it is running?

Talking of tutorials, what is 'Revolution' and 'runRev' etc. A whole section of tutorials starts using these terms with no prior mention (that I could find) of what that is all about. I thought it was just an earlier version of the IDE, but it shows code using rev..... commends etc. What is 'Revolution' and how does it fit into the LiveCode universe?

ClipArtGuy

Post by ClipArtGuy » Fri Dec 11, 2015 7:08 pm

What you want to do is fairly simple in LiveCode, but you will need to learn the basics first. Here's a couple great resources:

http://livecode.byu.edu/indexgeneric.php

http://www.hyperactivesw.com/revscriptc ... ences.html

You will need a grasp on livecode basics before diving into mobile development, and you will probably hit a few stumbling blocks along the way, but it is definitely within the capabilities of LiveCode.

jacque
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Post by jacque » Sat Dec 12, 2015 10:12 am

RunRev and Revolution are the names for LiveCode and it's company before it was rebranded. They are the same product you're using now. Older documentation will use the name that was current back then.

Controls are all the parts and pieces you use to create a stack, basically everything in the tool palette. Buttons, fields, players, images, graphics, are all different types of controls. Sometimes they are also called objects.

Cards and stacks are not technically controls, they are containers that hold controls.

Do take a look at the scripting stacks, all the basics are in there.
Jacqueline Landman Gay | jacque at hyperactivesw dot com
HyperActive Software | http://www.hyperactivesw.com

UKenGB

Post by UKenGB » Mon Dec 14, 2015 3:42 pm

I rather had the impression that the player controls being referred to were external modules of some sort. If it just means LiveCode's available controls, then I understand.

Like I said, early days yet. Only been playing with it for a couple of days, so plenty yet to learn. Looks like I'll end up needing music players for OS X, iOS and Android so Live Code does look like the best option.

What about TV-OS?

jacque

Post by jacque » Mon Dec 14, 2015 8:43 pm

UKenGB wrote:I rather had the impression that the player controls being referred to were external modules of some sort. If it just means LiveCode's available controls, then I understand.
Ah. If the article you were reading is refering to player controls, then it means the controller bar that appears under the video or audio area. (The term usually is "controller".) When LC changed from using QuickTime to native players dependent on the OS, the OS did not provide a controller bar. To accomodate, LC created its own controller which it attaches to the OS player. So on desktop, you do get a controller.

On mobile, the player uses whatever is native to the mobile OS without any additions.
What about TV-OS?
No support for TV, at least not yet. I don't know if there are plans for it.
Jacqueline Landman Gay | jacque at hyperactivesw dot com
HyperActive Software | http://www.hyperactivesw.com

UKenGB

Post by UKenGB » Tue Dec 15, 2015 3:35 pm

jacque wrote:
UKenGB wrote:What about TV-OS?
No support for TV, at least not yet. I don't know if there are plans for it.
I see that as quite a big thing, to complete what LiveCode offers. Well, that and WatchOS I guess. But they're both just variations of iOS are they not, so I wouldn't have thought it would take too much effort. TV OS is certainly the direction I'd want to be looking in.

Return to “Multimedia”