Microformats

Bringing the internet highway into your project? Building FTP, HTTP, email, chat or other client solutions?

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

marielle
Livecode Opensource Backer
Livecode Opensource Backer

Microformats

Post by marielle » Thu Dec 07, 2006 2:11 pm

Anybody using microformats within xtalk types of applications?

Microformats are usually embedded within html, using css tags to provide information on the structure of the content. Obvious, it's not that much the css tagging part that I am interested in but the reuse of the way to structure the information (XFN -> rel="friend met"; GEO -> latitude and longitude).

For instance, a way I approach this type of things is by having a text field with some content.

Code: Select all

-------------------
|    Dave            |
 -------------------
Then I will use the custom properties to store the information usually held within the microformats.

set the microf_rel of field tField to "friend met"

With the geo markup, you would have

Code: Select all

------Group GEO  --------------------------
|      ---------------------------
|     |    N 37° 24.49             |
|     ---------------------------
|     |   W 122° 08.313         |
---------------------------------------------

set the microf_latitute of group "geo" to 37.408183
set the microf_longitude of group "geo" to -122.13855

What's the use of that approach? Why not simply use a database system?

That's an excellent question to ask.

Here the idea is these data are made available to the end user as a result of parsing a web page or another networked resource. These data are meant to be temporary, to provide a just in time view of a content stored elsewhere. It is not necessarily of interest to immediately store that information within a database. Decision to store these informations permanently or eventually to alter and modify them is left to the user.

I have two levels. I use custom properties to store values from the web (which could to be seen as the "default values") and I use a database to store values permanently eventually after these "web values" got edited by the end user.

Anybody having done something of that kind within an xTalk application?

Return to “Internet”