real HTML display - how or where?

Bringing the internet highway into your project? Building FTP, HTTP, email, chat or other client solutions?

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

rozek

real HTML display - how or where?

Post by rozek » Mon Aug 07, 2006 2:27 pm

Hello!

I just tried to find out, which HTML directives can be used within field controls. Surprisingly, I found out: almost none - and those few which are supported, are often full of bugs (just one example: HTML allows for extra spaces between directives and within text in order to allow for properly indented HTML code (with only few exceptions, the best-known is preformatted text, of course) but Revolution Studio seems to respect *many* of these cosmetic blanks (if not all) producing lots of undesired indentations and ugly "wholes" between words...

Given that field controls are foreseen to be used to implement additional formatted controls such as tree-list displays (oh god, every simple programming environment nowadays comes with tree-list controls), this situation is far from satisfying...

Where are *real* lists (unordered and ordered - with *real* bullets etc), tables (!!!!), background colors and textures, *real* font support (not just a few styles), preformatted paragraphs etc.? How can I change the style of headings, links etc.?

And, well, I don't talk about CSS and other stuff yet...just basic, old-fashioned HTML rendering...

Or is it assumed, that one uses a 3rd party control which renders HTML properly? (is there one? platform-independent of course)

Or should I use RTF for styled text with these requirements (lists, tables, fonts, colors, textures)? (I did not yet test the RTF capabilities)

I'm really disappointed, given the price of this environment - and given the importance of HTML for text mark-up
Kind regards,

Andreas Rozek

rozek

Post by rozek » Mon Aug 07, 2006 2:36 pm

Just a remark:

before I now get pointed to altBrowser several times: is there an external, which works an all three/four Revolution platforms (Windows, MacOSX/MacOS, Linux) Of course, preferrably without using IE on the windows platform (that's a security nightmare)?

Additionally, I want to *edit* the HTML source in WYSIWYG mode - otherwise I would not really need the browser control - an external browser would be sufficient
Kind regards,

Andreas Rozek

BvG
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Post by BvG » Mon Aug 07, 2006 9:24 pm

make your own :(
Various teststacks and stuff:
http://bjoernke.com

Chat with other RunRev developers:
chat.freenode.net:6666 #livecode

DarScott

Re: real HTML display - how or where?

Post by DarScott » Mon Aug 07, 2006 11:22 pm

rozek wrote:I just tried to find out, which HTML directives can be used within field controls. Surprisingly, I found out: almost none - and those few which are supported, are often full of bugs (just one example: HTML allows for extra spaces between directives and within text in order to allow for properly indented HTML code (with only few exceptions, the best-known is preformatted text, of course) but Revolution Studio seems to respect *many* of these cosmetic blanks (if not all) producing lots of undesired indentations and ugly "wholes" between words...
Fields do not support HTML, but support a simple html-like markup covering the capabilities of the fields.

The issue with spaces is well known, and it is too bad the html-like markup is not closer to HTML in this aspect.

However, it is not HTML.

rozek

Post by rozek » Tue Aug 08, 2006 9:19 am

Well,

indeed, it seems as if I would have to build my own HTML editor control...

I'm currently investigating a way to integrate Tcl/Tk into Revolution Studio as an "external", but I don't yet know a way to display Tk widgets as Revolution controls within a stack (i.e. window). And it's Tk in which I'm interested, not Tcl (should I add "of course"?)

The Tk "text" widget provides all required functionality and is fully scriptable.
Kind regards,

Andreas Rozek

marielle
Livecode Opensource Backer
Livecode Opensource Backer

Post by marielle » Thu Dec 07, 2006 2:31 pm

rozek wrote:it seems as if I would have to build my own HTML editor control...
RevOnline > User Spaces > Jock_McCartan > HTML field editor

Under Collapsing Toolbar, the text formator part of the palette offer similar text formatting functionalities.

I know there is at least another one but I couldn't locate it anymore.

FourthWorld

Post by FourthWorld » Thu Dec 07, 2006 4:45 pm

As noted in the docs, the htmlText property uses a structure similar to HTML but is not an attempt to provide complete support for the full HTML spec.

HtmlText was added to the language as a way to reproduce field contents with complete fidelity in an ASCII (non-binary) format. The Dictionary entry for htmlText outlines the differences between the property and HTML.

Maybe it should have been called sgmlText to avoid the confusion.

Return to “Internet”