Which web hosting service for RevServer ?

Are you using LiveCode to create server scripts or CGIs?

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

bangkok
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Which web hosting service for RevServer ?

Post by bangkok » Fri Jul 30, 2010 7:26 am

If you don't use RevServer on your local network, on which web hosting service have you installed it ?

For Rev CGI, people talked on this forum about Jaguar and Dreamspace for instance... I'm looking for references of web hosting companies on which it would possible to install RevServer.

And for that matter are Rev CGI (the RunRev engine) and RevServer different, regarding their requirements ?

Mark
Livecode Opensource Backer
Livecode Opensource Backer

Re: Which web hosting service for RevServer ?

Post by Mark » Wed Sep 01, 2010 7:37 am

Hi bangkok,

You could try the somewhat expensive Dreamhost, the very expensive On-Rev (RunRev) or the free Memebot.com. I'm sure there are more. I have put an older CGI engine on Memebot.com, which works fine for experimental purposes. My preferred server-side language is PHP and I don't use RevServer.

Best,

Mark
The biggest LiveCode group on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/livecode.developers
The book "Programming LiveCode for the Real Beginner"! Get it here! http://tinyurl.com/book-livecode

shadowslash

Post by shadowslash » Fri Sep 17, 2010 1:11 am

bangkok wrote:I'm looking for references of web hosting companies on which it would possible to install RevServer.
I successfully set up revCGI under a free hosting account from x10hosting, They also offer free cPanel access and parking of your own domain.
Parañaque, Philippines

bangkok

Post by bangkok » Fri Sep 17, 2010 5:40 am

shadowslash wrote:
bangkok wrote:I'm looking for references of web hosting companies on which it would possible to install RevServer.
I successfully set up revCGI under a free hosting account from x10hosting, They also offer free cPanel access and parking of your own domain.
Thanks. Just to be sure : you are talking about cgi, right ? AKA to install the RunRev engine on the webserver, etc ?

Or are you refering to RevServer that allows to create .irev files, mixing HTML and scripts (the technology used by on-rev.com) ?
https://secure.runrev.com/store/browse/ ... t=RVSLSERV

shadowslash

Post by shadowslash » Fri Sep 17, 2010 5:58 am

bangkok wrote:
shadowslash wrote:
Thanks. Just to be sure : you are talking about cgi, right ? AKA to install the RunRev engine on the webserver, etc ?

Or are you refering to RevServer that allows to create .irev files, mixing HTML and scripts (the technology used by on-rev.com) ?
https://secure.runrev.com/store/browse/ ... t=RVSLSERV
Yes and No... Yes that I'm talking about CGI as in to install the engine on the webserver and use *.cgi files. No to the RevServer one, I actually only had revCGI in mind and somehow my brain made me think revServer and revCGI 's the same so thank you for clearing that up... Image
Parañaque, Philippines

bangkok

Post by bangkok » Fri Sep 17, 2010 7:10 am

shadowslash wrote: Yes and No... Yes that I'm talking about CGI as in to install the engine on the webserver and use *.cgi files. No to the RevServer one, I actually only had revCGI in mind and somehow my brain made me think revServer and revCGI 's the same so thank you for clearing that up... Image
Never mind. That's a good occasion for you to have a look on RevServer. :D
I use it, through On-rev (with the hosting offer) since 1 year, and it's really great.

This is why when RunRev released a few month ago a first version (not finalized yet) of RevServer, I bought it right away.

I didn't really have time to install it and to play with it (just on one local machine, with Linux), but I still plan to try to install it on a web server (via a hosting company).

shadowslash

Post by shadowslash » Fri Sep 17, 2010 7:12 am

bangkok wrote:Never mind. That's a good occasion for you to have a look on RevServer. :D
I use it, through On-rev (with the hosting offer) since 1 year, and it's really great.

This is why when RunRev released a few month ago a first version (not finalized yet) of RevServer, I bought it right away.

I didn't really have time to install it and to play with it (just on one local machine, with Linux), but I still plan to try to install it on a web server (via a hosting company).
What's the serer requirements for it? If the requirements are quite basic I'm quite sure x10hosting can take it.
Parañaque, Philippines

bangkok

Post by bangkok » Fri Sep 17, 2010 12:26 pm

shadowslash wrote: What's the serer requirements for it? If the requirements are quite basic I'm quite sure x10hosting can take it.
That's the trick : not much information.
:)

But you need : "Linux/Unix".

The other issue : you need to modify the VirtualHost config. I'm not sure if it's possible with webhosting company.

On my local machine, I used Ubuntu 9 and Apache (see my story :
http://forums.runrev.com/phpBB2/viewtop ... =20&t=5543
)
After a few problems, it worked fine.

ErikSchwartz

Post by ErikSchwartz » Fri Oct 01, 2010 1:50 pm

Has anyone tried installing RevServer on an Amazon Web Services EC2 instance?

Return to “CGIs and the Server”