LiveCode revServer deployment on Linux (Ubuntu)

Are you using LiveCode to create server scripts or CGIs?

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

Clarkey

LiveCode revServer deployment on Linux (Ubuntu)

Post by Clarkey » Mon Mar 14, 2011 2:42 pm

Hi folks,
I've summarised the knowledge I gleaned from this forum, the list archives and this RunRev lesson http://lessons.runrev.com/spaces/lesson ... -revServer into a How-to guide. http://blog.clarityforsuccess.com/2011/ ... buntu.html

I hope it helps.
Best,
Keith..

bangkok
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Re: LiveCode revServer deployment on Linux (Ubuntu)

Post by bangkok » Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:37 am

Clarkey wrote: I hope it helps.
Sure it does !

LiveCode Server is a really interesting product. too bad that there is such a silence arount it, and such a lack of documentation.

So, let's make some noise. :)

I tried to write my own experiences with LiveCode Server (here on the forum). But I start to think a that blog, like yours, is a better way.

Clarkey

Post by Clarkey » Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:29 am

Thanks for the kind words bangkok.

As to whether blogs help? IMHO They're not the best vehicle for community collaboration, knowledge management or FAQs and I'd prefer an alternative mechanism to contribute. Blogs are best suited to help people and organisations seeking to position themselves as experts or orators - most blogs say "come to my place, listen to me (and often, "oh and while you're here...)"

The forum and user lists are great for informal peer-to-peer community help - and contain great information - but:
• Information is fragmented, of variable quality (lots of "yeah, me too" statements) and not necessarily true or up to date. There is no quality control, so the user must filter for relevance (often through trial and error);
• Accessibility is limited to search criteria, which is why many users resort to new postings to get a human to help define the search criteria or locate answers. This means similar questions get asked over and over, exacerbating the above fragmentation problem;

In short, forums are best at peer-to-peer communications amongst 'us down here', blogs are best for top-down communications and moderated wikis are best for converging best practice - just think of wikipedia.

Fortunately, there is just such a community wiki initiative, being driven by David Bovill, which may help the situation. I'm sure there will be news in the next few weeks via http://blog.livecode.tv/
Best,
Keith..

ueliweb

Post by ueliweb » Sat Jun 25, 2011 9:02 am

hope this is not too off topic:

would rev server also works on a SuSe Linux Server running with apache? because in the store is written "Red Hat Enterprise Linux". and till yet I did not found more information about this.

EDIT: as I found with phpinfo() I have "Linux tux77 2.6.22.19-0.4-default"
ueliweb

Return to “CGIs and the Server”