using LC server for iOS app back end

Are you using LiveCode to create server scripts or CGIs?

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

adventuresofgreg

using LC server for iOS app back end

Post by adventuresofgreg » Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:03 pm

Hello: Is it possible to use LiveCode server with a database as a back end for an iPhone / iPad app? It might have to handle thousands to millions of users... I have written a game using LiveCode and Animation Engine, and I need to store the users name, details, and score on a server. I would also like to generate a leader board (list of highest scores), and allow the user to sort highest scores by city, or region, or something like that (that interaction part could be done via a web page and post get cgi scripting). I know next to nothing about cgi, databases, etc. Also I might add that would consider contracting this aspect of the development out.

thanks,
Greg K

bangkok
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Re: using LC server for iOS app back end

Post by bangkok » Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:49 am

Yes of course it's possible.

Peruse this sub forum, and you'll find clues.

-Basically, your iPhone, Ipad or even Desktop application would "call" an URL, with a CGI, hosted somewhere (with LiveCode Server, or even Php), like you said with a simple POST or GET
-the CGI takes the parameters, talks with the local hosted database (let's say MySQL), perform some operations (read or write from the database)
-then "displays" the results
-at the other hand, your app gets the results, and voila.

So basically, you have choices :
-you do it yourself by buying a webhosting service (along with hosted MySQL Database), install LiveCode Server on it, and write your owns scripts (CGI) [you'll find on this forum of webhosting companies that allow LiveCode Server to be installed, or you can use on-rev.com that offers LiveCode Server in standard)

-you can use PHP instead of LiveCode Server, if you want to out source the work.

Return to “CGIs and the Server”