Blitz 3D SDK External

Are you developing an External using the LiveCode Externals SDK?

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

n.allan
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Blitz 3D SDK External

Post by n.allan » Mon Jul 14, 2008 10:43 pm

I thought I'd start a new thread for this:

Here is link to the demo I promised:

http://www.yippo.co.uk/cubedemo.zip

I'm having probs with my webspace so don't panic if it dont work. I will sort it.

once I have the code sorted out I will post the source for the external for all to laugh at :)

mwieder

Post by mwieder » Tue Jul 15, 2008 12:12 am

The demo seems to run fine. Yes, you're pegging the CPU at 100%, but it doesn't interfere with switching to other tasks, or seem to slow them down for that matter. And the IDE is fully responsive.

n.allan

Post by n.allan » Tue Jul 15, 2008 12:39 am

This demo uses the old dll which runs fine It's the new V102 B3D.dll thats the problem.

This one however is missing one function bbJoyHat() a joystick function that I would like to include for completeness, but the CPU issue is troubling me too much to merit it's usage at this stage.

I'd rather not make V102 B3D.dll available for use with this demo. I would rather PM or email it to someone in the know to see how it's interacting with the IDE. I can email it to you personally if you really want but I would imagine that someone at rev would need to be running the rev engine at debug level to see what exactly is going on.

n.allan

Post by n.allan » Sat Jul 19, 2008 1:16 pm

Download the current vesion external cpp file here:
http://www.yippo.co.uk/ext_b3d/ext_b3d.cpp

Please take a look for obvious mistakes an let me know what's what.

This code has not been fully commented yet but keep checking the same link for updates, I will work on it when I can. When I get a minute in will write an instruction on it's usage in rev. Any immediate questions, email or PM me.

To roll your own, create an external with externalssdk V2 for win32, c++ no exceptions called ext_b3d. copy and paste this code into your blank cpp and set ext_b3d folder as the startup object in visual studio.

You will need to set up visual studio header and lib folders as per instruction with your copy of blitz3dsdk.

Some functions are commented out or excluded deliberately to keep it compatible with V101 B3D.dll

When drawing 3D to a rev stack using the windowid of the stack KeyHit(), KeyDown() etc.. get trapped somehow, I just don't know where the messages are going, they aren't sent to the card or stack.

Please do not distribute externals you create with this source code unless your rev stacks are passworded or as standalones. If you must then the externals should be watermarked using bbText(0,0,"Not for distribution") or somesuch. so that they cannot be reused in other projects without the blitz3dsdk lib files.

InfoCentral

Re: Blitz 3D SDK External

Post by InfoCentral » Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:31 pm

I noticed the links no longer are valid. Did this project get finalized?
"I am an Apple user and whatever they tell me I know it is for my own good and for the good of the collective..."

n.allan

Post by n.allan » Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:29 am

What?! I think I just saw this thread move. We have a Frankenpost!

This project is still alive somewhere on my hard drive, do you have the Blitz3D SDK? I noticed on the Blitz Research Forums that here was instruction not to distribute wrappers on open forums.

InfoCentral

Post by InfoCentral » Sat Feb 27, 2010 4:40 pm

n.allan wrote:This project is still alive somewhere on my hard drive, do you have the Blitz3D SDK? I noticed on the Blitz Research Forums that here was instruction not to distribute wrappers on open forums.
I don't have the Blitz3D SDK. I was looking at possibly purchasing the Leadwerks Engine and on their website they said it supports BlitzMax. I have heard that Blitz is a fairly easy engine to learn but there does seem to be a lack of tutorial documentation. What are your opinions on Blitz?
"I am an Apple user and whatever they tell me I know it is for my own good and for the good of the collective..."

n.allan

Post by n.allan » Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:17 pm

I love the Blitz3D syntax, But I have not used BlitzMax. That Leadwerks engine looks cool although not properly cross platform yet. You will have a good bit of work to put in if you want to use the leadwerks engine with rev. The syntax of the Leadwerksd engine looks similar to the Blitz3D SDK but that was probably the Idea if it was originally designed for BlitzMax.

InfoCentral

Post by InfoCentral » Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:15 am

I think with Unity becoming FREE has put a whole new twist on the game engine market.

n.allan

Post by n.allan » Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:03 am

I'll say. That engine has it all. and with 100 percent discount? It merits some srious attention.

InfoCentral

Post by InfoCentral » Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:48 am

No doubt

Return to “Building Externals”