Building externals for OS X

Are you developing an External using the LiveCode Externals SDK?

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

jspencer78

Building externals for OS X

Post by jspencer78 » Wed Jun 14, 2006 12:17 am

Can anyone here explain how to build a native code external for OS X using Xcode or for that matter, any other environment? I understand what the external's code itself should look like as well as what the Xtable structure should look like. What I don't understand is what I build this into, a static library, a shared library, a Framework, or whatever and on a related issue, how I expose the Xtable and the functions to Rev.

Thanks

Spence
James P. Spencer
Rochester, MN

"Badges? We don't need no stinkin badges!"

Obleo

Post by Obleo » Sat Nov 11, 2006 12:56 pm

I see that no info has every been explained from Spence's original post. This is alarming to think there may be no means to use C source files with revolution and Mac OSX.

I have a few C scripted source files of code I would like to use with Revolution. When I use the developer kit it seems to only work using windows and DLLS. I would like to use my external C source code with Mac OSX through Revolution.

Is there a way to do this beyond building a kernel extension with Xcode and then using X command? or is that the only way to get Mac OSX externals to work with outside code for Runtime Revolution.

This topic seems to have very little info that addresses anything but DLLs. for windows.

I am very much interested in using my other code source bases with in revolution and well be willing to pay to learn how to implement these to work with in revolution on a mac os x target machine. Kernel development is not an ideal means for doing this because any error in the script can have fatal consequences on the whole system over the way most externals for most development tools and OSX work.

It seems that revolution has many reference documentation info on things but it also has not been all very easy to find and seems to be all over the place in finding needed info to push beyond the basic out of the box development model.

Does the development kit work with Mac OSX and how? If it does not, what is they way that developers using revolution can merge outside source code to revolution?

Can I use a BSD Dynamic or Standard Library? an External Build System? a standard command line Utility? a carbon Library?A framework?

I would like to really now this before I screw something up very bad to my system with trial and error educational guessing.

The do shell command and osa scripting works well in revolution for existing OSX and darwin man commands. My best educational guess is pointing to that is the way to use an external C source with in revolution from OSX, but I am guessing here. Not a very idea means of working.

Could someone from Runtime Revolution give the basic info for what is the preferred way revolution works with external low level source for Mac OSX and if there is already information for this give a link where we can find this information.

At least give some info how to gather the correct information. If it requires an Silver or Gold Incident support package, then tell us it does and I well resubmit my question that way.

The results could also help more than one in making more external add ons for the revolutions user base.

Thank you any assistances

ob

malte

Post by malte » Sat Nov 11, 2006 6:28 pm

Just in case you missed the excellent article in the curent Newsletter:

http://www.runrev.com/newsletter/novemb ... etter5.php

This may guide through the first steps (I still have to understand it all, but it really looks promising.)

All the best,

Malte

Garrett

Post by Garrett » Sat Nov 11, 2006 8:15 pm

I'd like to see an external that implements a freaking proper tree element
for Rev. I honestly thought by now there'd be one in Rev, but it seems I
was wrong.

Obleo

Post by Obleo » Sun Nov 12, 2006 2:15 am

malte wrote:Just in case you missed the excellent article in the curent Newsletter:

http://www.runrev.com/newsletter/novemb ... etter5.php

This may guide through the first steps (I still have to understand it all, but it really looks promising.)

All the best,

Malte
Thank you, this answer my question prefectly. Now I can be a kid in a candy store.

Return to “Building Externals”