mouse locks up

Deploying to Windows? Utilizing VB Script execution? This is the place to ask Windows-specific questions.

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

adventuresofgreg

mouse locks up

Post by adventuresofgreg » Fri Jun 15, 2012 5:06 pm

Hi:

I have a game (uses animation engine) that runs fine as a standalone on iOS and OSX, but I just tested in Windows 7 and the animation seems to be locking the mouse up. The app launches, and I can activate buttons, etc until the animation auto-starts, then the mouse clicks don't do anything. The only way to quit the .exe is to windows force close. I run a loop "send loopme to me in .1 seconds" to control the animation - is there something in W7 that doesn't like the send to me?

I don't think this is an animation engine problem, as there are some animated things that happen before my timer starts and they do work... until the loop starts, then the mouse locks up.

I just don't know where to start looking to resolve this.

thanks,
Greg

BvG
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Re: mouse locks up

Post by BvG » Fri Jun 15, 2012 7:03 pm

It's hard to tell what is your actual problem, but here some general pointers/ideas:

- Maybe you add a send in 0.1 seconds every time you go trough the events. So after one round, you have 2 pending messages, after 3 run troughs, you have 8, after 10 you have 1024, etc. Check 'the pendingmessages'!
- The problem does not sound like a repeat for each problem, but like a repeat loops forever.
- Try spamming ctrl-. (period) repeatedly, if it's a repeat that the code is trapped in, it'll show you which in the error that pops up (sometimes).
- Other third party add-ons, externals?
- Freshly installed LC, or been running for years? Maybe the installation is corrupted.
- Try removing Animation Engine and see if that removes the lockup.
Various teststacks and stuff:
http://bjoernke.com

Chat with other RunRev developers:
chat.freenode.net:6666 #livecode

adventuresofgreg

Post by adventuresofgreg » Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:03 pm

Thanks - this is the standalone running in Windows 7 that is having the problem. command "." won't work. The app runs fine in Livecode on Mac, standalone on Mac, standalone on iPad. - just the standalone in Windows 7 that is locking up. Trouble shooting is tough because I have to comment-out something, export a stand alone, send it to the PC, then run it.

malte

Post by malte » Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:04 pm

Hi Greg,

Win 7 likes thinking an app locked up while it actually has not. I would like to the the scripts in question if I may.

All the best,

Malte

SparkOut

Post by SparkOut » Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:27 pm

Nobody's already suggested you try adding a line in the loop

Code: Select all

wait 0 milliseconds with messages
?

Adding this line doesn't appreciably slow the loop but it does let the engine get a bit of breathing space to handle the housekeeping tasks it needs like responding to keypresses etc.

Return to “Windows”