What Books Do You Want?

Find out what's going on with LiveCode (the company), product releases, announcements, and events.

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

DanShafer
Livecode Opensource Backer

What Books Do You Want?

Post by DanShafer » Thu Jul 17, 2014 7:56 pm

I'm getting ready to launch a new one-man publishing company featuring books on a number of different topics including LiveCode. (For those who don't know me, I'm a long-time HyperTalk/RunRev/LiveCode author. I wrote the first book on RunRev back in the day.) The docs are pretty good these days and there are a couple of beginner books out there so I'm looking for individual specific, bite-sized topics that you'd like to see a small, focused ebook on.

The idea is to publish a number of books that are in the 25-100 page range at a price point of $0.99 to $9.99. I have my own list of ideas but I'm interested in what the community thinks would be useful, particularly to newcomers to the language and to this flavor of scripting.

So here's your chance to ask for a book on that aspect of LC that's been bugging you or your team.

sefrojones

Re: What Books Do You Want?

Post by sefrojones » Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:05 pm

A few topics off the top of my head:

Data Grids
Arrays
Server Side Scripting

I'm sure there's more I'm not thinking of at the moment. The first two seem to come up frequently in the forum, and the third is just something I'm getting started experimenting with....

Good luck in this new venture!

--Sefro

sritcp

Re: What Books Do You Want?

Post by sritcp » Fri Jul 18, 2014 1:47 pm

Generic case studies, that serve two purposes: i) imparts a deeper level of knowledge of a specific aspect of LiveCode, and ii) provides a template for users to modify and use in a similar project.
Each case study should consist of:
a) Problem Definition and Program Design
b) Step-wise implementation
c) Complete code with copious annotation (discussing finer aspects of the specific language topics involved - use them as teaching tools)
d) Generalize the lessons learned.

Dozens of possibilities for case studies; here are a few:

1. Database: Creating, interacting with, and maintaining an SQL database. (A much larger, deeper version of the tutorial available on the LiveCode website).
2. Automating OS X (or windows) tasks (and general principles of OS interactivity)
3. A program to manage DropBox/ Amazon Cloud/ Google Drive back up systems.

You could probably take a few of the 60 2-minute lessons by Kevin Miller (in Business Academy videos) and turn them into larger case studies.

Regards,
Sri.

Return to “Announcements”