iOS 5.1 SDKs

Getting into LiveCode for iOS? Ask your questions here.

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

CALL-151
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Re: iOS 5.1 SDKs

Post by CALL-151 » Sat Mar 17, 2012 4:52 pm

KennyR- Try setting the path in the mobile support preferences of LC to /Developer. It wants the root folder, not the full path to the SDKs. There should be a Developer folder in your boot drive (along with Applications, System, Users, etc).

richardmac- I agree, but I prefer to think that the LiveCode pricing model is poorly conceived rather than a deliberate attempt to take advantage.

richardmac
Livecode Opensource Backer

Post by richardmac » Sat Mar 17, 2012 7:02 pm

CALL-151 wrote:KennyR- Try setting the path in the mobile support preferences of LC to /Developer. It wants the root folder, not the full path to the SDKs. There should be a Developer folder in your boot drive (along with Applications, System, Users, etc).

richardmac- I agree, but I prefer to think that the LiveCode pricing model is poorly conceived rather than a deliberate attempt to take advantage.
That could be the case. They ought to look at what other companies do. Apple comes out with one new operating system per year and gives you free updates for a year. That's a great model. If Apple made us buy OS X three times a year, imagine what we'd have to say about them.

KennyR

Post by KennyR » Sat Mar 17, 2012 7:32 pm

To CALL-151
My default path is set to the developer folder. Not sure why its is not accepting it...I will have to look at it tomorrow....got some green beer to drink right now...lol

To richardmac

I agree with pretty much everything you have said, and I appreciate your input on this...there are a couple of points I would like to make regarding my current situation. First, I am not a professional developer. I would aspire to be one, but honestly I work as a Paramedic for the county I live in, and this is sort of a thing my wife and I have jumped into so we could make some medical apps for her and her line of work. I can tell you that being new at this, I prob. have fallen into some rookie mistakes that other people might not make. To be honest, I had no idea buying this product that I would have to re-purchase the program each year in order to keep up to date. Now with that being said, I don't expect RunRev/LC to give me anything for free. I would expect to pay for upgrades if those upgrades came with significant changes to the program along with new features. What I would expect is that the program that I paid money for would actually work. If LC is not going to allow us to upgrade at no cost to the current version, (which I don't think they should), they at the very least should provide support and post a patch to those that just want the current version to work. I am all about Rev making their money. They have the right to do what ever they want with their product. Overall, I am very happy with the product and the fine people that support us in the community. I have had nothing but good things to say, up until now, about the product. I just can't help but feel that I made a mistake buying LC....maybe I should have waited a few more months....

jacque

Post by jacque » Sat Mar 17, 2012 7:37 pm

richardmac wrote:And it's funny, because LiveCode is really just an extension of HyperCard, which Apple created and then killed. Apple has its head so far up its ass it can't hear anything. Had Apple not killed HyperCard, but had HyperCard evolved, we'd have something better than LiveCode for making iOS apps, and the cost would be FREE.
HyperCard was only free initially. At version 2.0 it was sold to Claris and from then on it cost $100.

LiveCode is an extension of HC in some respects, but it has evolved into something much more than that now.
Jacqueline Landman Gay | jacque at hyperactivesw dot com
HyperActive Software | http://www.hyperactivesw.com

richardmac

Post by richardmac » Sat Mar 17, 2012 8:34 pm

KennyR wrote:To CALL-151
My default path is set to the developer folder. Not sure why its is not accepting it...I will have to look at it tomorrow....got some green beer to drink right now...lol

To richardmac

I agree with pretty much everything you have said, and I appreciate your input on this...there are a couple of points I would like to make regarding my current situation. First, I am not a professional developer. I would aspire to be one, but honestly I work as a Paramedic for the county I live in, and this is sort of a thing my wife and I have jumped into so we could make some medical apps for her and her line of work. I can tell you that being new at this, I prob. have fallen into some rookie mistakes that other people might not make. To be honest, I had no idea buying this product that I would have to re-purchase the program each year in order to keep up to date. Now with that being said, I don't expect RunRev/LC to give me anything for free. I would expect to pay for upgrades if those upgrades came with significant changes to the program along with new features. What I would expect is that the program that I paid money for would actually work. If LC is not going to allow us to upgrade at no cost to the current version, (which I don't think they should), they at the very least should provide support and post a patch to those that just want the current version to work. I am all about Rev making their money. They have the right to do what ever they want with their product. Overall, I am very happy with the product and the fine people that support us in the community. I have had nothing but good things to say, up until now, about the product. I just can't help but feel that I made a mistake buying LC....maybe I should have waited a few more months....
Kenny,
God bless you for your line of work. I work in education. God bless everyone who gets up every day and goes to work and makes the world a better place.

Regarding your point - I am in 100% agreement with you. This is my problem - it is possible to purchase LiveCode to make iOS apps and have it break and be useless 91 days later and the company does not do anything to help. No one can possibly defend that. I am 100% with you on that. This is how you lose customers. If RunRev does not want to go with a 1 year "warranty" against upgrade issues, they ought to at least make it 6 months.

OR, here's something else they could do. If you put $500 in and bought LiveCode, they should let you pay the difference to bump up to LiveCode Complete. If you knew you could pay $250 right now and be covered for a year, I bet you'd consider it.

Regardless, you may eventually reach the point I did. $750 is a lot of money. But if you're going to do iOS app development seriously, it's worth it. It's a really damn good feeling knowing I don't have to worry about anything for a year.

Jacque,

I remember. I got HyperCard 2.1 I think it was, for Christmas one year. I remember being super happy when Apple added COLOR (in such an awful cheesy half-assed way.) I still have HyperCard stacks on my computer. But if it were still around I think it would be free. Look at Apple's current tools - ALL FREE. They want to encourage Mac and iOS developers. I've looked at Xcode and Objective C. It looks about as much fun as going to the dentist. I even bought the book that teaches you how to make an OS X app using Xcode and AppleScript. And if LiveCode disappeared tomorrow, that's probably what I would think about using. But AppleScript is an awful, terrible language... because it had so much potential and they ruined it. But that's a different topic.

I absolutely LOVE working in LiveCode. I am definitely a huge fan. But I can love the product and dislike the way the business side is handled at the same time. The people I've dealt with at RunRev have been stellar, too. I have to give HUGE props to Heather. Hard working, always polite, very professional. She's great. She probably has to take a lot of crap via email about RunRev's pricing scheme.

But I have to get back to work. Working on app number 3 for the App Store. Even though the process is broken right now, I'm not worried - I know RunRev will fix it.

KennyR

Post by KennyR » Sun Mar 18, 2012 2:30 pm

Richardmac....thank you for your nice comments....The last thing I would like to say about this problem is that I hope someone from Rev is watching this thread and taking it into consideration when coming up with a solution. I think some good ideas have been put out there......

jacque

Post by jacque » Sun Mar 18, 2012 7:40 pm

OR, here's something else they could do. If you put $500 in and bought LiveCode, they should let you pay the difference to bump up to LiveCode Complete.
That's always been the case, and as far as I know it hasn't changed. Any time you want to upgrade you can pay the difference between your current license and the new one.

richardmac

Post by richardmac » Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:29 pm

jacque wrote:
OR, here's something else they could do. If you put $500 in and bought LiveCode, they should let you pay the difference to bump up to LiveCode Complete.
That's always been the case, and as far as I know it hasn't changed. Any time you want to upgrade you can pay the difference between your current license and the new one.
They just charged me the full $750 to upgrade to LiveCode Complete from having the current version of LiveCode for Mac/Windows/iOS. Maybe because I didn't have Linux, Server, and Android?

jacque

Post by jacque » Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:02 pm

richardmac wrote: They just charged me the full $750 to upgrade to LiveCode Complete from having the current version of LiveCode for Mac/Windows/iOS. Maybe because I didn't have Linux, Server, and Android?
I don't think the special upgrade price is integrated into the store, you need to ask for it. I think it involves manual bookkeeping on their side. I'd say write to support and ask if you can adjust the price retroactively. RR could have changed their policies but I'm pretty sure that's not the case, I remember reading about the upgrade offer very recently.

richardmac

Post by richardmac » Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:59 pm

jacque wrote:
richardmac wrote: They just charged me the full $750 to upgrade to LiveCode Complete from having the current version of LiveCode for Mac/Windows/iOS. Maybe because I didn't have Linux, Server, and Android?
I don't think the special upgrade price is integrated into the store, you need to ask for it. I think it involves manual bookkeeping on their side. I'd say write to support and ask if you can adjust the price retroactively. RR could have changed their policies but I'm pretty sure that's not the case, I remember reading about the upgrade offer very recently.
Well, I'll email Heather and ask her. Can't hurt!

colourpixels

Post by colourpixels » Fri Mar 23, 2012 6:21 am

So just to be 100% certain. LiveCode 5.5 supports IOS 5.1 and the new version of Xcode? (Do you just point it at the Xcode file now rather than /developer?)

Read all the thread but didn't spot anyone stating that for sure and can't see it anywhere on the run rev.com site only "supports IOS5"

Thanks!

Dale

colourpixels

Post by colourpixels » Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:59 am

I just upgraded and still getting that message "The chosen folder is not a valid iOS SDK..." when pointing it at Xcode in my applications folder (which is where the the new 4.3.2 appstore version installs to)

Any thoughts, can't do anything til I get this working, but frustrating.

Cheers
Dale

CALL-151

Post by CALL-151 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:57 pm

colourpixels wrote:So just to be 100% certain. LiveCode 5.5 supports IOS 5.1 and the new version of Xcode? (Do you just point it at the Xcode file now rather than /developer?)

Read all the thread but didn't spot anyone stating that for sure and can't see it anywhere on the run rev.com site only "supports IOS5"

Thanks!

Dale

No, it does not support iOS 5.1 and the new version of Xcode. In the works I'm told but no ETA.

CALL-151

Post by CALL-151 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:42 pm

Now it does. Just got an email from Heather to DL 5.5 GM2 which supports iOS 5.1

richardmac

Post by richardmac » Sat Mar 24, 2012 2:58 am

Yup. Running it right now. Works great!

Return to “iOS Deployment”