LC 5.5.5 - xCode 5.0.2 - code signing failed

Getting into LiveCode for iOS? Ask your questions here.

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

LC4iOS

LC 5.5.5 - xCode 5.0.2 - code signing failed

Post by LC4iOS » Wed Dec 04, 2013 12:38 am

Past LiveCode Android developer.
New to iOS Development
Paid Member of Apples iOS Development Program
Using Licensed LiveCode 5.5.5 (not 6 or 6.5)
Using Xcode 4.4.1 and 4.6.3 giving me access to SDKs and simulators 5.1 and 6.1 for both iPad and iPhone.
All 4 simulators testing successfully.

Trying to setup a simple test app on my iPhone - a stack with a button with no code
Using a Development/Testing certificate NOT a distribution certificate

I've spend the last 3 days researching and writing my own up to date step by step instructions using the iOs developers portal.
I have updated it using every reference I can find.

I have removed all expired Certificates from Keychain Access.
Keychain shows my iPhone Developer: myName (myTeamNumber) development (not distribution)certificate with a single private key myName
There are no duplicate Certificates.

I have re-installed xCode 5.0.2.
I have removed everything and have created everything again multiple times.

I have noticed that my iOS Team Provisioning Profile: *
and my iOS Team Provisioning Profile: myBundleName
persist a few minutes after deleting both. Neither can be Edited.

I have also noticed

myProvisioningProfile is there as well and all three show green and Active (Managed by Xcode).

----

I've managed to reduce errors to a single issue:
code signing failed with 1) .... "iPhone Developer: myname (myTeamNumber)"

I have deleted and added again my Apple ID multiple times but still to no avail.

----

I would like to know if anyone is successfully producing certified test apps with LiveCode 5.5.5 in this configuration?
I'm hoping that if I am not allowed to produce these test apps someone will tell me.

I'd be happy to pursue any suggested remedy.

Many thanks
Last edited by LC4iOS on Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thanks to RunRev.
Thanks to LiveCode forum members.

LiveCode v5.5.5 - iOS Android Mac Windows - 6.5 Community
27" 2012 iMac i5, MacBook Pro, MacBook Air, iPhone 5, iPhone 4
xCode 5.0.2 - iOS7 - OS X Mavericks
Paid Apple iOS Developer Program Member

LC4iOS

Re: LC 5.5.5 - xCode 5.0.2 - code signing failed

Post by LC4iOS » Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:00 pm

Still can't get to work.
Been looking at it too long.
Will take a break from it for now.

I've edited my notes if anyone is interested in browsing them and hopefully can add some step(s) to help with this issue.

iOS Step by Step Instructions 3 - Working with Apple Developer Portal – Certificates, Identifiers and Profiles.docx.zip

If interested in helping please contact me and I'll send it to you.

Last edited by LC4iOS on Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:18 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Thanks to RunRev.

LCNeil
Livecode Staff Member
Livecode Staff Member

Post by LCNeil » Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:28 pm

Hi LC4IOS,

LiveCode 5.5.5 is not compatible with Xcode 5.0.2 so if you try to link this within LiveCodes mobile preferences, you will receive an error. This may also explain why you cannot build a working standalone.

I have also had the experience of my older XCode instances automatically being deleted on the installation of XCode 5.0.2 so you may wish to check this as well.

With that being said, you should still be able to build a working iOS standalone with LiveCode 5.5.5 and older version of Xcode (e.g.4.6)

I would recommend that you try that

Kind Regards

Neil Roger
--
RunRev Support Team ~ http://www.runrev.com
LiveCode – Realize fast, compile-free coding

LC4iOS

Post by LC4iOS » Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:30 pm

Thanks. Will do.

----

I changed my xCode.app to xCode_4.6.3.app or xCode_5.0.2.app as required.
This keeps my latest xCode.app install from overlaying previous ones.

----

Still code signing failed error for iPhone Developer: myName (myDevTeamID) with xCode 4.6.3.

----

I'm wondering if its just the simulators in xCode 5.0.2 that are not compatible.
i.e. I'm not sure if the dev portal knows that its xCode 4.6.3 requesting certificates and provisioning profiles or that its xCode 5.0.2.
Does LiveCode actually refer to xCode.app or just xCode folder striations (other than the non compatible simulators that is.)

No duplicate Certificates nor keys.

----
Wondering if it would make a difference if I used xCode 4.6.0 instead of 4.6.3
----

Id be happy to pursue any further remedies.

----

Now I'm wondering if I can take advantage of xCode 5.0.2 Developer Tools and use the Simulators from xCode 4.6

i.e. isn't the actual install for xCode just copying the xCode.app to Application folder?
And maybe associating .xCodeProj files to ????

xCode 5.0.2 | Preferences | Accounts
xCode 5.0.2 | Window Organizer

KeyChain Access 9.0 | Certificate Assistant
KeyChain Access 9.0 | Window | KeyChain Access Viewer

LiveCode 5.5.5 | Preferences | Mobile Support | iOS SDKs | Applications/xCode 4.4.1.app
LiveCode 5.5.5 | Preferences | Mobile Support | iOS SDKs | Applications/xCode 4.6.app

Also I wonder if the Application Loader utility and a WWDR intermediate certificate are connected to a specific version of xCode.
I don't think so.
Last edited by LC4iOS on Thu Dec 05, 2013 3:49 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Thanks to RunRev.

LCNeil
Livecode Staff Member
Livecode Staff Member

Post by LCNeil » Thu Dec 05, 2013 2:00 pm

HI LC4iOS,

I would recommend using LiveCode 6.5 with Xcode 5.0.2 as we are in the process of removing the ability of building for ArmV6/universal and Xcode 5 will be required to produce these builds.

So the first thing I would check is that Xcode 5.0.2 is the only Xcode in your mobile support preferences and that your standalone is setup for Armv7 builds only.

The following is taken from a fantasic adobe documentation on creating Apple certificate and Provisioning profiles. If you find this useful, I will eventually convert this into a LiveCode lesson for others to benefit from. The original Adobe doc can be found here

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/ppcompdoc/S ... dps_se.pdf
So the general process is as follows

Create a Development Certificate Signing Request

1. go to the certificates, identifiers & Profiles in the apple iOS developers portal. sign in with your Apple id.
2. click certificates on the left side of the window.
3. click development on the left side of the window under certificates. selecting the options on the left side displays the certificates of each category. At this stage, if you are starting fresh, you shouldn’t have any development certificates. you will create the development certificate files that you can use for testing all your apps.
4. click the Plus icon in the upper right corner of the window to start creating a certificate.
5. open the Keychain Access utility, found in the utilities folder in your Applications folder.
6. click on the My certificates category on the left.
7. click on an empty space in the window on the right to ensure that no existing keys or certificates are selected.
8. Choose keychain Access>Certificate Assistant>Request A Certificate from A Certificate Authority
9. for user email Address, specify a valid email address.
10. for common name, enter the name of your company or division. This certificate can be reused for multiple apps that you might create, so you don’t need to enter the app name here.
11. leave the cA email Address field blank.
12. select saved to disk.
13. click the continue button.
14. specify the name of the certificate signing request and where the file will be saved, and click save. you will use this file to create a development certificate in the next section.
15. When the certificate request is created, click done.

Generate a Development Certificate
now that you’ve created the certificate signing request file, you need to submit it to the ios Provisioning Portal to create the required development certificate.

1. In the Apple Developer Site, Continue to advance to the “Generate your Certificate” Screen. Click choose file and double click the certificate request file you created previously
2. Click Generate. This should generate your dev certificate
3. click download, and then download the certificate to a known location.This development certificate is called ios_development.cer.

Install the Certificate
In the finder, locate the ios_development.cer file you created, and double-click it. This launches the
Keychain Access utility and installs the certificate

To see if the certificate was installed, click on the Keys category on the left, and then click the
right-pointing arrow to open the private key. you should see the certificate beneath the private key.
if double-clicking the .cer file does not install the certificate, launch Keychain Access and choose
file > import items to specify the .cer file.

Create An App ID

You Will need To create an App id for your app. This is a unique identifier required by Apple to
identify an app. you will use Apple’s developer site to create an App id. A different App id is required for each app that you create.
1. on the Apple ios developer site, go to “certificates, identifiers & Profiles”
2. click identifiers, and make sure that App ids is selected.
you need to create a different App id for each app that you create. (please not you can use a wildcard app id that can be used for multiple test apps)
3. click the Plus icon in the upper right corner of the window to create an App id.
4. Type a description, such as the name of your app.
5. for App services, leave game center and in-App Purchase selected (Apple enables these by default),
and do not select data Protection, icloud, or Passbook. Also, do not select Push notifications
6. for App id Prefix (previously called “Bundle seed id”), leave the option set at generate new (if this is the first App id you’ve generated) or use Team id (for additional App ids). in other words, don’t do anything here unless you really know what you’re doing
7. specify a Bundle id. The Bundle id (or Bundle identifier) is usually specified in a form called reverse domain name or com.domainname.applicationname. in other words, if you work for PluralistDe-sign, your website is http://www.pluralistdesign.com, and your application is called “Pluralist lookbook,” your App id would be com.pluralistdesign.pluralistlookbook. if you are just testing how to create an App id, use something like com.acme.test so that you don’t “waste” an App id.
8. click the continue button.
9. if the settings look correct, click the submit button, and then click done.
The App id will appear in the list. This same App id will appear in various screens in later steps in this
process. for example, when you build the mobileprovision files for your app, you’ll specify this App id

Register your test iPads with Apple

The easiest method to do this is to open the Organizer within Xcode and when your iOS device is connected select the “Use For Development” button as shown in the following image-

https://developer.apple.com/library/ios ... ent_2x.png

Create Provisioning Profile

The provisioning profile files determine which iPads can install and use your app. The development mobileprovision file includes a list of iPad ids called udids.

1. in the Apple ios developer site click Provisioning Profiles on the left side of the window.
2. click the development tab.
3. click the Plus icon in the upper right corner of the window.
4. select ios App development, and click continue
5. specify the App id, and click continue
6. select your ios development certificate.
7. specify the devices you want to provision. The development app you create for testing will work only on devices included in the development provisioning profile
8. specify a name. include “development” in the name to distinguish it from the distribution file, but
don’t include any special characters (such as asterisks) in the name. you can rename these files after
generating them. Then click the generate button.
9. click download, and then download the development provisioning profile file to a known location.

You should now be able to connect your iOS Device to Xcode and manually install this provisioning profile by double clicking on it and also by dragging it onto your device in the organiser window.

There is also a handy utility for managing provisioning profiles here since Xcode 5 has easily removed the ability to delte provisioning profiles-

http://support.apple.com/downloads/#iphone configuration utility

I hope the above helps but keep us posted on how you get on.

Kind Regards

Neil Roger
--

LC4iOS

Post by LC4iOS » Thu Dec 05, 2013 2:36 pm

Hi Neil,
Thanks for the excellent response.
----

I won't be moving to LiveCode 6.5 anytime soon.
I have a current license for LiveCode 5.5.5
I have to be able to create a proof of concept before delving any further.

I'll be developing iOS apps for iPhone 5 and iPad 4 using Livecode 5.5.5
with xCode 4.6 and xCode 4.4.1

I'm hoping if others are actually producing iOS iPhone apps with LiveCode 5.5.5 now, they will confirm via pm or post here.

----
Thanks for taking the time to create and post these steps.
Mine is exactly the same only I have up to date detailed snap shots.

The only difference is Create An App ID step 6 and 7.
I'm using a fixed Bundle ID and com.myName.myAppName
(Actually I've tried all different variation to no avail)

----

I've also updated my immediately previous post with some ideas of being able to use xCode 5.0.2 Developer utilities WITH xCode 4.4.1.app and xCode 4.6.app simulation SDKs in LiveCode 5.5.5

-----

I'll look thru the pdf and the hyperlink you posted to see if I can find anything new.

Again, Thanks for the replies.

----
pdf is the same.
pdf troubleshooting is pretty much the same and verifies Adobe is have this same issue as xCode and LiveCode.
----

Downloaded and installed iPhone Configuration Utility 3.5 for Mac OS
Do I need this? If so I will have a better look tomorrow.

----
So nothing I see that I haven't already tried.

Will clean up yet again and have another go tomorrow.
Last edited by LC4iOS on Thu Dec 05, 2013 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thanks to RunRev.

LCNeil
Livecode Staff Member
Livecode Staff Member

Post by LCNeil » Thu Dec 05, 2013 3:16 pm

Hi LC4iOS,

Hopefully something from the info I provided will give you some leads.

The same process should work when using LiveCode 5.5.5 and Xcode 4.6 and Xcode 4.4.1 (I just tested this by creating a test application and building from LiveCode 5.5.5)

In regards to using LiveCode 5.0.2 development tools with older version of Xcode, we unfortunately cannot provide support for this as this could cause further issue when you try to build an iOS standalone.

If possible, could you provide a screenshot of the full error you are receiving ,in a new reply, as this may give us some clues as to what could be causing the issue.

Kind Regards

Neil Roger
--

LC4iOS

Post by LC4iOS » Thu Dec 05, 2013 3:27 pm

Hi Neil,

Can you please confirm your build was for iOS?
I was mistakenly building for OS X for a while.

I'd like to see a snap of your application settings and Mobile Support settings to see if there is a something I've missed.
No problem if you prefer not.
Else you can email to me at LiveCode4iOS @ g mail . com

My newbie forum account won't allow me to post a file.
oops must have been my 11 meg .zip file.

code signing failed with 1) 5A97793ABF3BB6FBB400577711FSCD1DF5428F7F "IPhone Developer: myName (myTeamID)"

----
I've also just notice the iPhone Configuration Utility Generated a Certificates entry in KeyChain Access.
But gives a red x This root certificate is not trusted.
I
Attachments
Screen Shot 2013-12-06 at 1.29.33 am.png
Thanks to RunRev.

LCNeil
Livecode Staff Member
Livecode Staff Member

Post by LCNeil » Thu Dec 05, 2013 4:11 pm

Hi LC4iOS,

I have attached a screenshot of my standalone and mobile support settings. Building with just Xcode 4.4.1 as this is all that is required for armV6 builds.
Screen Shot 2013-12-05 at 15.07.16.png
It does seem like there could be a discrepancy with your certificates that is causing the issue. Other users that have had this issue have followed the steps described in the post to resolve the issue-

http://runtime-revolution.278305.n4.nab ... 58701.html

I hope this is of some assistance.

Kind Regards

Neil Roger
--

LC4iOS

Post by LC4iOS » Thu Dec 05, 2013 9:12 pm

Wow!
Many thanks for the snap.
Will try this configuration next.

Did you use the developers portal to create the Development CSR?
Or did you use the keychain access certificate assistant?
Or did you use a development certificate you had already built using xCode 5.0.2?
I believe either way will use my computer info to generate the request file and NOT be dependent of any xCode version.

I have read thru that thread many times.

The only thing left that is still bugging me is how do I remove my devices?
And start afresh with devices?
I'll disable the iPhone device and enable the iPad.

Just waiting for xCode 4.4 to download and will remover everything and try again.

Much appreciated.
Last edited by LC4iOS on Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thanks to RunRev.

LC4iOS

Post by LC4iOS » Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:39 pm

Just some notes regarding my latest attempt.

I had deleted ALL certificates from Keychain access.

My install of iPhone Developer Certificate would NOT generate keys.

I did see that
Apple Worldwide Developer Relations Certification Authority Certificate
Developer ID Certification Authority Certificate
were missing.

I downloaded and install the WWDRCA from the portal successfully.
Then installed my Developer Certificate but still no key.

Couldn't work out where to download the Developer ID Certificate Authority either.

So removed all certificates again.
Then ran xCode 5.0.2 in an attempt to get more info
and found that both WWDRCA and DIDCA were installed by this run of xCode 5.0.2.
i.e. I already has an account setup under xCode 5.0.2 | Accounts.
Later test reveal when starting afresh with NO account.
I added an account but only after clicking View Details and the pressing the refresh button in the bottom left did WWDRCA and DIDCA install.

I'm wondering if the
Keychain Access | Certificate Assistant | Evaluate | Repair
would install both of these missing base/intermediate certificates?
And if not, how to properly generate them without xCode 5.0.2.
And if the these xCode 5.0.2 generated certificates are locked to xCode 5.0.2.

And just to confirm,
yes, once these certificates were installed by xCode 5.0.2 I was able to install the iPhone Developer certificate with proper key.
Last edited by LC4iOS on Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thanks to RunRev.

LC4iOS

Post by LC4iOS » Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:59 pm

More notes.

Upon adding a new App ID,
Selecting the Wildcard App ID: com.myName.*
the App services changed from requiring
Game Center and In-App purchase
to NOT allowing me to select either.
Thanks to RunRev.

LC4iOS

Post by LC4iOS » Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:15 pm

More notes:

Upon double clicking the .mobileProvision file
The iPhone Configuration Utility popped up.

Showing Library | Provisioning Profiles with my Provision Profile Name listed at the top
and my device listed at the bottom with a button to install.
I checked xCode Organizer under my iPad Provisioning Profiles. None existed.
I clicked the install button in iPhone Configuration Utility and my Provisioning profile did install under xCode Organizer.
Thanks to RunRev.

LC4iOS

Post by LC4iOS » Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:23 pm

LOL
Freakin' Aye Man!

Absolute champion!

Attachments
Screen Shot 2013-12-06 at 9.21.54 am.png
Last edited by LC4iOS on Fri Dec 06, 2013 6:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thanks to RunRev.

LC4iOS

Post by LC4iOS » Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:31 pm

I can successfully build for Arm6 and ARM7 but NOT Universal.

i.e. when attempting to build for Universal I get that same error code signing failed.

And now that I know what to look for:

http://forums.runrev.com/viewtopic.php? ... sal#p61541
Thanks to RunRev.

Return to “iOS Deployment”