Useful Symbols

Want to talk about something that isn't covered by another category?

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

richmond62
Livecode Opensource Backer

Useful Symbols

Post by richmond62 » Sun May 29, 2022 4:38 pm

https://developer.apple.com/sf-symbols/

"With over 3,300 symbols, SF Symbols is a library of iconography designed to integrate seamlessly with San Francisco, the system font for Apple platforms. Symbols come in nine weights and three scales, and automatically align with text labels. They can be exported and edited in vector graphics editing tools to create custom symbols with shared design characteristics and accessibility features. SF Symbols 3 features over 600 new symbols, enhanced color customization, a new inspector, and improved support for custom symbols."

FourthWorld
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Re: Useful Symbols

Post by FourthWorld » Mon May 30, 2022 5:24 am

Thanks for the link. I poked around but couldn't find licensing info. Did you have any luck with that?
Richard Gaskin
LiveCode development, training, and consulting services: Fourth World Systems
LiveCode Group on Facebook
LiveCode Group on LinkedIn

richmond62

Post by richmond62 » Mon May 30, 2022 5:53 am

Details are on the page.

SWEdeAndy

Post by SWEdeAndy » Mon May 30, 2022 6:50 am

I found some licensing info here:
https://developer.apple.com/design/huma ... /overview/

"All SF Symbols shall be considered to be system-provided images as defined in the Xcode and Apple SDKs license agreements and are subject to the terms and conditions set forth therein. You may not use SF Symbols — or glyphs that are substantially or confusingly similar — in your app icons, logos, or any other trademark-related use. Apple reserves the right to review and, in its sole discretion, require modification or discontinuance of use of any Symbol used in violation of the foregoing restrictions, and you agree to promptly comply with any such request."
Andreas Bergendal
Independent app and system developer
Free LC dev tools: https://github.com/wheninspace
WhenInSpace: https://wheninspace.se/en

stam

Post by stam » Mon May 30, 2022 7:39 am

I think that means you can’t use these as the icon for your application (the one that shows in the Finder), logos or trademarks but can use for icons within your app.

As I read it it doesn’t sound like it’s “legal” to on non-macOS platforms but not sure if that’s accurate or how that would be enforced, so probably OK to use as in-app icons.

Thinking about this not sure how any of this would be enforced generally, as the vast majority of icons are derivative of icons already freely available in SVG or other formats.

If you have access to FileMaker Pro (I think > version 14), there is a database freely available that provides similar functionality with hundreds of useful and free SVG icons which you can colour and export although no built in way to change line thickness, which can legally be used royalty-free.
I can try to dig up the link if anyone needs…

SF Symnols still means having to export the selected icon into an SVG file that contains 3 variants, copying the selected variant to a file and only then importing to LiveCode, so probably not practical if you’re thing of hiding many icons (unless I’ve missed something?)

S.

richmond62

Post by richmond62 » Mon May 30, 2022 8:08 am

glyphs that are substantially or confusingly similar
I don't know what Apple are playing at, as a quick scroll through the glyphs in that thing shows that a very large number
of them are "substantially or confusingly similar" to tons of glyphs used elsewhere.

I suppose that my eye or my mind's eye is not sufficiently subtle to notice the odd single-pixel tweak here and there. . . .
-
Screen Shot 2022-05-30 at 10.13.40 AM.png
Screen Shot 2022-05-30 at 10.13.40 AM.png (4.2 KiB) Viewed 3079 times
-
This is the 'Richmond Square', and may only be used if properly referenced as having been created by me.

Obviously, with the knocked-off corner, it is far, far more useful than standard squares, or, for that matter
any substandard squares with knocked-off corners.

Failure to comply could involve visits from muscular people with dangerous dogs.
_

The licensing 'guff' is either some sort of generic stuff they pump out in all directions in their
urge to dominate the computing world,

or it is pretty meaningless.

If I "didn't know better" I'd swear that a large number of those glyphs had been 'borrowed' from elsewhere. 8)

Glad I am not a lawyer, and glad that, so far, Apple have not decided to take me to court for using one of their
vector triangles. :P

jiml

Post by jiml » Mon May 30, 2022 10:49 pm

How much does a flat on Richmond Square go for?

richmond62

Post by richmond62 » Tue May 31, 2022 10:41 am

How much does a flat on Richmond Square go for?
ALL of my offerings are Open Source.
-
Screen Shot 2022-05-31 at 12.39.35 PM.png

Return to “Off-Topic”