A.I. Rant

Want to talk about something that isn't covered by another category?

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

jacque
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Re: A.I. Rant

Post by jacque » Thu Apr 06, 2023 5:53 pm

dunbarx wrote:
Thu Apr 06, 2023 2:04 pm
Chat GPT does have a disclaimer stating that one might encounter erroneous answers in its usage, and therefore to beware. The mayor thinks that is inadequate, that the gist of the report is not merely inaccurate, but spurious.

Maybe the bot should use Snopes?
That's the crux of the problem. People will trust what the bot says, and since critical thinking and fact checking are rarely taught any more, at least in large parts of the US, the user will believe what it says. Disclaimers won't help because users won't know what to check. Or if they are rigorous fact checkers it will be easier to just do the research themselves rather than add the extra layer the AI provides.

How many people still click on email links from unknown senders? It could be like that.
Jacqueline Landman Gay | jacque at hyperactivesw dot com
HyperActive Software | http://www.hyperactivesw.com

jtangen
Livecode Opensource Backer

Post by jtangen » Fri Apr 07, 2023 2:19 am

Indeed, it’s essential to address concerns in a practical manner. One solution could be introducing two distinct modes in Livecode.

Mode 1: The "Copilot" mode https://github.com/features/copilot, designed for experienced developers seeking efficiency, seamlessly integrates AI assistance to help accomplish tasks more quickly without compromising on creativity.

Mode 2: The “Socratic” mode https://blog.khanacademy.org/harnessing ... al-access/, catering to those wishing to learn and hone their Livecode skills. In this mode, AI engages users in a more interactive manner, posing questions, offering guidance, and encouraging critical thinking, allowing them to develop expertise while being supported by AI.

These dual modes ensure that Livecode remains accessible and beneficial to developers at all skill levels while fostering responsible AI usage and nurturing the creative spirit.

richmond62

Post by richmond62 » Mon May 01, 2023 8:24 pm

No attention spa
To which the appropriate response has got to be "N".

BUT, and this is the most important question of all [or so my massive ego tells me]: would an A.I.robot
come up with "N"?

NO, because an A.I. robot would not do very well in a jacuzzi. 8)

Oliver901

Re: Rant

Post by Oliver901 » Mon May 20, 2024 10:34 am

I don't think tools like ChatGPT and BARD necessarily diminish the value of traditional programming skills. Instead, they offer a different way of problem-solving and creativity.

In my view, AI should serve as an aid, extending human capabilities rather than replacing them entirely. I occasionally use Word AI in my copywriting gigs to simplify certain tasks. Its price and features, as well as compared to similar tools, are listed on writingtools.co.uk. However, I always exercise judgment and human creativity in editing the output to meet specific needs. AI can make faster processes and offer inspiration, but it's ultimately up to humans to shape and apply its output effectively.
Last edited by Oliver901 on Thu May 23, 2024 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

richmond62

Post by richmond62 » Mon May 20, 2024 11:28 am

Robots are a bit like car-jacks: very useful for changing wheels: just so long as you know how to use the car-jack.

Oliver901

Post by Oliver901 » Tue May 21, 2024 3:52 pm

That's a good point, but I think that AI is not just a robot.

FourthWorld

Post by FourthWorld » Tue May 21, 2024 5:56 pm

Oliver901 wrote:
Tue May 21, 2024 3:52 pm
That's a good point, but I think that AI is not just a robot.
"AI" is a marketing term referring to a wide range of software going all the way back to the Expert Systems of the '80s.

What marketers are calling "AI" today are regenerative algorithms, consuming large amounts of other people's work to produce output emulating the most common patterns those works exhibit.

If not a form of software robot, what is a regenerative software package?
Richard Gaskin
LiveCode development, training, and consulting services: Fourth World Systems
LiveCode Group on Facebook
LiveCode Group on LinkedIn

Return to “Off-Topic”