Interested in Meeting? Also questions regarding licenses...

Discussion forum for the Southern California LiveCode Developer Group

Moderators: FourthWorld, Klaus, robinmiller

geekhunter
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Interested in Meeting? Also questions regarding licenses...

Post by geekhunter » Wed Oct 12, 2011 5:31 pm

Figured I'd hit the list one more time. There are a lot of new exciting announcements (the new version 5.0, etc.) and was wondering if anyone wanted to get together? Had a great time at the meetings so hoping we can get together again. I can try and find a location here at the Warner Bros. lot in Burbank or if someone has another place around maybe Pasadena?

BTW: I'd love to get something clear in my mind. RunRev now sells a separate license to each version of LiveCode for each platform (unless you buy the "Complete" license covering all platforms). Unless you have an update subscription, you pay if your platform is upgraded in the future which is just like any other software package that I've worked with. Until the upgrade, you get to use your LiveCode package in the version and platform you paid for for as long as you want, correct? Now, was this always the way RunRev sold the product?

I think I'm confused but I thought that they sold the product with some sort of license that required annual payments for the actual RunRev/LiveCode environment to stay enabled. I could have been confused though and was thinking of their annual upgrade subscription or their annual subscriptions to web hosting. As dumb as it sounds, I was under the impression that if I didn't renew an annual license, my use of LiveCode would essentially terminate since a year passed since I "bought" the product. Am I nuts or have things changed?

Can someone provide some clarification for me?

Regards,

Todd
Thanks!

Todd CC
geekhunter@gmail.com

mwieder

Re: Interested in Meeting? Also questions regarding licenses...

Post by mwieder » Wed Oct 12, 2011 5:49 pm

No - LiveCode will continue to run even if you never renew your subscription. You won't have access to any updates after that point, but no worries about not having access to your favorite development tool.

I would never get involved with a development tool that expired if my subscription lapsed. What happens if the company goes out of business?

Return to “SoCal LiveCode Group”