This is the place to discuss anything relating to MobGUI

Moderators: heatherlaine, kevinmiller, robinmiller, malte, splash21

robertem
Livecode Opensource Backer

New to MobGUI question

Post by robertem » Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:52 pm

Hi,

I have just recently started with a copy of the 1.1 version and have a few questions that I could not find on the forum or in the docs on the site. I did see a getting started doc for the old version but not the new one.

Most of the info I have found relates to the old plug in which does not seem to apply anymore (or maybe it does, I don't know).

Does MobGUI still handle the geometry and orientation for the different platforms or should I be coding that directly and laying out individual cards for different device types?

If so, do I need some code in preOpenStack or something to initialize it?

Thanks,
Rob

splash21
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Re: New to MobGUI question

Post by splash21 » Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:39 am

robertem wrote:Does MobGUI still handle the geometry and orientation for the different platforms or should I be coding that directly and laying out individual cards for different device types?
Hi, Rob. MobGUI doesn't handle layout of controls for different devices. The old plugin did have a feature to record positions and sizes of controls for each individual orientation / size, but it's not a very economical solution. I think the most popular approach is to calculate new geometry when a resizeStack message is received - the resolution independence in LC6 takes care of screen density adjustments. Although the new plugin is behavior based and doesn't attach a library stack, it would still be possible to add a custom control which could apply geometry rules to controls on a card - it's something I've got on the todo list to have a look at.
LiveCode Development & Training : http://splash21.com

robertem

Post by robertem » Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:42 pm

Thanks for the quick reply.

That is what I suspected, just wanted to be sure I wasn't a) going to break anything and b) wasn't making a bunch of extra work for myself prior to getting going on my geometry code.

Also, very nice work on the rewrite of the plugin, it's really helping me get the look and feel of the UI right quickly and easily (that and the icons fonts are outstanding.)

Rob

Mikey

Post by Mikey » Mon Feb 10, 2014 1:00 am

Let me second the request to re-institute some version of the old behavior for mindless support of orientation. The old version of MG made it easy to support both orientations, and I would like to see that again, as in my apps I have many screens, so the old way was better for me.

DevBoyLars

Post by DevBoyLars » Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:39 am

Yes, this would be very helpful. Both.. options for geometry-rules and support for both orientations.

Return to “MobGUI”