Is This MobGUI or LC 6.5.2?

This is the place to discuss anything relating to MobGUI

Moderators: heatherlaine, kevinmiller, robinmiller, malte, splash21

srbarlow3
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Is This MobGUI or LC 6.5.2?

Post by srbarlow3 » Fri Feb 28, 2014 1:43 am

I am still new to LC on mobile platforms but continue to have persistent problems with scaling. It sounded like the best thing since sliced bread but here's whats plaguing me.

The native field created with mobGUI don't scale ( I created them with mobGUI...only way I know how to do it). . Not only the font sizes not scaled but the locations too. The size of the actual field seems to be resized but the position isn't scaled

I noticed this testing my app on the iPad with "exact fit" but the similar behavior is present in "letterbox". I didn't look at "no border",

So i have a page with several native input fields and a native multiline input field. The app, designed for a iPhone scales nicely and stretches to fill the screen edge to edge. The when I go to the page in portrait view the native input fields are scaled and in the correct position, but the fonts are still the size selected in the iPhone sized screen (value set in MobGUI and reflected in the Object Inspector-> Text Formatting. I created a "clever" way to detect the width of the screen and then scale the font size to make things ito correct scale. THEN during testing I was trying to rotate through each iPad orientation and noticed the native fields were not only the same size as the portrait orientation, but seem to be in the same locations relative to the top right of the screen...rotated to landscape prientation , but now covering other interface items.

I have already replaced almost all the fields in my small app with LC fields that do resize and scale fonts and place them in a scaled position on the screen. The reason I didn't dump the native fields in this one case was that I needed a scrolling field and wanted it to have look right for an iOS app.

I am not sure but suspect this may be a LC bug as the mobilePickDate command places the selection pop up wheel selector (on iPad) way up on the screen where the unscaled location of the fields might be. Of course on the iPhone the selector is at the bottom of the portrait view so it isn;t a factor.

FIRST...any way to know if version 6.6 will address any of these scaling bugs (or is it a mobGUI issue) ?

SECOND, is there a way to simulate a iOS native multiline and it's behavior using standard LC objects and scripting?

Thanks

Russ

splash21

Re: Is This MobGUI or LC 6.5.2?

Post by splash21 » Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:03 pm

Hi, Russ. The code to create the native controls can be viewed (if MobGUI is running) by right clicking and object and selecting 'Edit Behavior' from the context menu. They are exactly as they would be if you had just created them yourself with the mobileControlCreate command. I'm not sure what you're seeing - feel free to attach a test stack if you have time!
srbarlow3 wrote:is there a way to simulate a iOS native multiline and it's behavior using standard LC objects and scripting?
I don't think there's any way to do copy/cut/paste with an LC field object (yet).
LiveCode Development & Training : http://splash21.com

srbarlow3

Re: Is This MobGUI or LC 6.5.2?

Post by srbarlow3 » Fri Feb 28, 2014 2:26 pm

here is a stack that demonstrates all the issues I mentioned in my post with native Input Fields namely:

1- the text is sized correctly in the iPhone sim but in the iPad sim it remains the same size but in an upscaled field size that makes it look small(there is a button in my example to place some text into the native fields)
2- the fields to not maintain a correctly scaled relative position in the iPad landscape orientation. I placed them in graphic rectangles to demonstrate the relative movement in landscape view on iPad
3- I also added an icon that calls the mobilePickDate selector. Note that in both orientations on the iPad it seems to be in a spot nowhere near the object that invoked it. It almost looks like it is at the screen rects for the iPhone screen (unscaled)

Run it in the iPhone simulator and then in the iPad simulator rotating through the landscape orientation and you'll see the issues. They seem to also be present in Letter Box scaling too. I didn't try no Border

The issues present exactly like the sim on the iPad hardware.

I am pretty sure this is a LC issue... I have surgery on a broken ankle today and may not be back online for a few days. Depends on how much pain meds I need.

Thanks for taking a look at this

Russ
Attachments
TestScaling.zip
(8.21 KiB) Downloaded 257 times

Return to “MobGUI”