Livecode Server

Got a LiveCode personal license? Are you a beginner, hobbyist or educator that's new to LiveCode? This forum is the place to go for help getting started. Welcome!

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller

cbarnhart
Livecode Opensource Backer
Livecode Opensource Backer

Livecode Server

Post by cbarnhart » Tue Mar 11, 2014 5:57 pm

I have a really stupid question. I have been working with Livecode for desktop and mobile for over a year now and I am now looking at also using livecode server. Am I able to utilize complete stack I have already build as a complete package? For example when a web page opens can I start a stack and the whole program will run, or do I need to learn enough html to execute each routine separately and also use html to format from the ground up?

FourthWorld
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Re: Livecode Server

Post by FourthWorld » Tue Mar 11, 2014 6:02 pm

Web browsers have no understanding of the LiveCode file format or its language. The only things browsers can handle themselves are HTML for layout and JavaScript for interactivity.

LiveCode Server lets you use the LiveCode language for tasks on the server, which often includes generating HTML for delivery to the browser. But the execution of LiveCode with that build will be on the server only, so if you need interactivity in the browser you'll need to include that JavaScript yourself.
Richard Gaskin
LiveCode development, training, and consulting services: Fourth World Systems
LiveCode Group on Facebook
LiveCode Group on LinkedIn

splash21

Re: Livecode Server

Post by splash21 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:20 pm

cbarnhart wrote:I have a really stupid question.
Not a stupid question at all :D
Happily, you can utilise all the logic and functionality from your stack's code, but not the the user interface. You can't show the cards and their content 'as is' - instead you'll have to generate HTML content to display in the browser. This browser UI can also collect information and pass it to your stack to perform the required tasks.

The following web page uses a LiveCode library stack to generate QR codes - the exact same stack can be used to generate QR codes on the desktop or on mobile;
http://splash21.on-rev.com/

The basic user interface on this page gathers the data needed to create the code, calls a library function in the stack (passing the information), then creates the HTML output to send to the browser - including the result from the stack (which is the data for the QR code).

I'm not sure if there's another platform that can do all of this across server/desktop/mobile 8)
LiveCode Development & Training : http://splash21.com

Return to “Getting Started with LiveCode - Complete Beginners”