Browser Sampler [Solved]

Got a LiveCode personal license? Are you a beginner, hobbyist or educator that's new to LiveCode? This forum is the place to go for help getting started. Welcome!

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller

John Gaidos

Browser Sampler [Solved]

Post by John Gaidos » Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:27 am

Hello,

I am a new user and am trying to use the tutorial " Browser Sampler". I cannot get anything to display in the browser window when I run it. At the bottom of the window, I see the message "Accessing page" followed by the URL of the website , followed by the message "Finished". No content from the website is displayed. I have searched the forums, and have found another Mac user who had a similar problem, a while back, but no solution to his problem. I am running Mac OS X 10.5.8, on an Intel MacBook, and Livecode 4.5.3. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

John
Last edited by John Gaidos on Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

John Gaidos

Re: Continued Browser Sampler Issue

Post by John Gaidos » Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:36 am

Here is an update on my situation with the Internet Browser Example that I posted a few days ago. I now have LiveCode 4.5.3 installed on two Macs in order to try and diagnose the problem. One a MacBook, the other a MacBook Pro. Both now running Mac Os X 10.6.3, both have Safari 5.0.3. The MacBook pro runs the Browser Example fine. The MacBook displays no information in the browser display, no matter what website I try. LiveCode and the Internet Browser Sampler code were both installed on both machines from the same original files. It seems that there is some non LiveCode setting that is different between the two machines. But what would cause this? I am frustrated because I cannot get the LiveCode demo code to run on two Macs with the same OS much less my own code on different platforms. I would hope that at least someone from LiveCode could respond with some possible causes for this.

Thanks in advance.

John

John Gaidos

Re: Continued Browser Sampler Issue[Solved]

Post by John Gaidos » Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:01 am

I finally solved the issue of the mysterious invisible browser display. It turns out that if the backdrop is enabled then the image object that displays the rendered browser display is invisible, so the browser display looks empty. The image object is probably displayed on a layer that is behind the backdrop. This is probably something that could easily be fixed in the browser example by someone with more knowledge than me, at this point. I don't understand how layers work yet though. I have only tried this on a Mac so I don't know if the same issue exists on other platforms.

John

Klaus

Re: Browser Sampler [Solved]

Post by Klaus » Sat Mar 12, 2011 1:05 pm

Hi John,

congratulations, you just found an ugly BUG! :D

A backdrop is supposed to alway be BEHIND everything else!
The image is only a reference to where the rect of the browser
should appear and CAN be invisible indeed without problems!

I will bug report this immediately, if you don't mind 8)

Best from germany

Klaus

John Gaidos

Post by John Gaidos » Sat Mar 12, 2011 2:02 pm

Hi Klaus,

Yes, please do post the bug. I thought I was going crazy for a while there! The browser worked fine on one machine, and then nothing at all on the other! Thanks for looking into this.

John

Klaus

Post by Klaus » Sat Mar 12, 2011 2:23 pm

Hi John,

hm, I found that this had already been bug reported for version 2.8 of LiveCode back in 2007.
Looks like the dev team does and did not pay much attention to this one :cry:

Anyway, have a nice weekend! :)

Best

Klaus

lemonade

Post by lemonade » Sun Jun 24, 2012 9:52 pm

I had this problem as well. I paid for the 'business academy" video tutorials, but it seems like at least one of these example projects does not function properly.

I can't get the example project from this tutorial:

Business Academy Video #30: "Display a Website & Control Navigation"

to display a web page in LiveCode. The tutorial is an example of how to display a web site in LiveCode.

Are there other tuts that show how to display web sites in LiveCode apps? I hope this is not too complicated to do.

Please tell me it's no a big deal to get web pages to open inside LiveCode apps!

Return to “Getting Started with LiveCode - Complete Beginners”