Any keyboard shortcuts for the text editor?

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

EOTR

Any keyboard shortcuts for the text editor?

Post by EOTR » Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:45 pm

Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone knew of any keyboard shortcuts for the LC text editor. The 2 things I'd really like to be able to do is:

1) outdent a line of code. Sometimes I'll turn a line of code over or paste something in and it will be double indented.
2) move a line of code up or down in the document.

I know you can do stuff like this in other text editors like Sublime Text and Adobe's Edge Code. Normally its something like "command + [" to outdent, and I think "shift + command + up/down arrow" to move lines of code.

thanks, Henry

Simon
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Re: Any keyboard shortcuts for the text editor?

Post by Simon » Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:01 pm

Hi Henry,
Do you mean the Script Editor?
If you do, I don't see a shortcut key for that (interesting).
But if in the Preferences > Script Editor there is a selection for Auto Format. If that selected all you have to do is hit Tab in the script and it will clear up the handler.

If you turn the Auto Format off then it behaves like a plain old text editor without special commands.

Simon
I used to be a newbie but then I learned how to spell teh correctly and now I'm a noob!

EOTR

Post by EOTR » Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:28 pm

Simon wrote:Do you mean the Script Editor?
Yes, I did mean "Script" editor, not "text".
Simon wrote:But if in the Preferences > Script Editor there is a selection for Auto Format. If that selected all you have to do is hit Tab in the script and it will clear up the handler.
That totally worked for fixing the indents. I did have Auto Format on by default, but didn't know the tab key would fix everything. It also indents entire chunks of code so its a little neater looking. Your cursor just has to be anywhere in the chunk of code. I still can't find a key command for moving lines up and down, but I did find "shift + command + left/right arrow" selects and entire line. From there I guess you can just cut the line and paste it somewhere else.

thanks!

jacque

Post by jacque » Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:37 pm

To move text around, double-click words or triple-click lines and then drag them where you want them. Or you can select whole blocks of text and drag them all.

When you triple-click a line, the carriage return is also selected, so drop it at the left of a line that should come after the newly inserted one.
Jacqueline Landman Gay | jacque at hyperactivesw dot com
HyperActive Software | http://www.hyperactivesw.com

Return to “Summer School 2013”