Imported png/jpeg quality

LiveCode is the premier environment for creating multi-platform solutions for all major operating systems - Windows, Mac OS X, Linux, the Web, Server environments and Mobile platforms. Brand new to LiveCode? Welcome!

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

gyroscope
Livecode Opensource Backer

Imported png/jpeg quality

Post by gyroscope » Fri Jul 11, 2008 3:40 pm

Hi, I put my graphics stuff together in Photoshop; when I import a png (especially the main back image) it is much darker and even seems to lose a slight bit of detail compared with the original. (I can live with the loss of detail but wish it was nearer the brightness of the one from Photoshop). Because its darker, the colours don't seem as fresh as the original. Changing the quality of the image in the Inspector doesn't seem to make any difference, nor saving the png as interlaced.

Jpegs show differently as well; I can't remember how, but what I do remember is that it was even a worse comparison with the original than using pngs.

Has anyone any recommendations/suggestions/comments about this situation please? (Have I missed something perhaps?)

Edit: thought I'd upload some screen grabs for my particular situation here:

http://gallery.filefront.com/gyroscope/

The first is the imported png into RR and the second, the Photoshop original. I'll say that it doesn't seem quite as bad with a small part showing but with the full 800 x 600 image, its definitely murky/dingey... :(

Nomi

Post by Nomi » Fri Jul 11, 2008 6:23 pm

I'm not seeing any color difference between Photoshop cs3 and a runtime card.

What color profile are you using in Photoshop?

- Noel

gyroscope

Post by gyroscope » Fri Jul 11, 2008 8:54 pm

Hi Noel, thanks for your reply.

I'm using CS2 and the colour profile I've been using is Apple RGB. I tried a few others today and finally decided on iMac Calibrated. I still get very dark pngs.

It only just clicked with me then (after all this time) that I can't embed the colour profile into a png. I guess that's why there's a colour difference. Although, having said that, clicking on Don't Color Manage This Document still doesn't make any difference to the discrepency between them....hmm... So I'd be most interested in knowing your settings for saving a png from Photoshop which comes in to RR exactly the same please!

Anyhow, I decided to try a jpeg again and this time around (embedding iMac Calibrated profile) the imported image is identical. So what I did wrong last time to make it different I have no idea! So I'm not stressed out by this now (although I'd still be interested to know how you get identical pngs...)

:)

Nomi

Post by Nomi » Fri Jul 11, 2008 9:35 pm

I'm on a Windows machine using sRGB as the color profile. Might be the difference, I don't know :)

- Noel

bn
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Post by bn » Fri Jul 11, 2008 10:15 pm

Hi,

you might want to look at this thread

http://www.nabble.com/-Not-Quite-OT---P ... #a12511893

and at this thread

http://www.nabble.com/Image-discolorati ... #a17049716

and here

http://www.nabble.com/Shifting-RGB-td17 ... #a17869575

this is discussed once in a while, doesnt look like there is a definitive solution as far as I see, but it may give you some ideas

regards

Bernd

gyroscope

Post by gyroscope » Sun Jul 13, 2008 11:33 am

Thanks for your reply, Noel. I'll experiment further when I've the time...

Thanks also for the links, Bernd; appreciated. It would seem that this is a generic problem with Photoshop... sorry RR, shouldn't have doubted you! :wink:

I think I'll stick with jpegs for the while; although these tend to be a third larger, as you know, I'm hoping my projects will still be file sizes "within the bounds of reason".

:)

Return to “Getting Started with LiveCode - Experienced Developers”